Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Carlo Furlan 1/12/2014

For years I took laborious notes while listening to teachers and preacherss. These notes, however, rarely facillitated lasting response or recall, regardless of the richness of the teaching or the power of the preaching. 

Three years ago I began a new habit while listening and have found it to make these truths both more accessible and memorable. This process involves a sketchbook, something with which to make marks and my response to the teaching in primarily image form. I sit listening until an image comes to mind. Then I quickly get that image down onto the page  while the teaching continue. I close my sketchbook when the teaching ends. 

The following image is a response to a teaching on Prayer given January 13, 2014 by Carlo Furlan.


His texts were I Kings 8:29, Is. 56:7, Mark 11:17 and I Cor. 6...

FROM CAROL

Watching Jenny create art as a response to Sunday messages, I wondered how I could engage my right brain to stay focused on the spirit of what was being said as well as the letter. Could I do the same thing with words? Six months ago, I began jotting down fragments of imagery and trickles of poetry that allow me to access a different part of my brain and engage my heart. These lines are unpolished and rudimentary, but I share them with you humbly, as a child who pats together a mud pie and offers it up with a smile. 

Here are my words based on Carlo Fulan's sermon January 13, 2014:

Prayer
Like breathing -
essential and elemental,
yet elusive,
ethereal...
Knocking on the bricks
of segregation
between
the tangible
and the intangible.
Or
answering the knock,
or 
more likely
straining to hear
the still, small voice.
---
I Kings 8:29
Facing Jerusalem,
full frontal position,
but prostrate.
Isa. 56:7
"My house" is for prayer
where I will meet you,
cross the threshold in anticipation...

Transformation,
re-forming,
molding a new thing out of 
a blob of unclean clay.
Lay down the reins,
pull over,
turn off your wireless connections
and 
mute the voices of
  • worry
  • doubt
  • cynicism
and condemnation.
Sink into His presence
and be
trans - formed.
---
The miry, murky dungeon of despair
pulls at my feet -
these feet of clay -
but I want to look up,
want to dance
so there must be missteps
and clumsy
flub ups
and bruised toes.
Offer me your hand, Lord,
and ask me to
be your partner.
Malformed as I am,
I will
take your hand in mine
and
let you lead.

3 comments:

  1. Love this you two! I will distribute this among my Facebook friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. You too are so creative. Looking forward to reading it regularly.
    Laura Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol - I love the line about feet of clay because it reminds me of how change happens. We were talking about how Jesus makes things new at yesterday's Collide for women at First Pres in Bellingham and considering what gets in the way of change. This is the essential question that faces every therapeutic approach as well . . . and your image reminded me, it isn't the circumstance that needs changing so much as us. In fact, the circumstance may be what is changing us, forming those feet, when we live a life prayer listening to his lead!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you letting us share with you today. We love to hear your thoughts and comments.