Sunday, March 15, 2015

Swimming Upstream - Praxis series; Tim Knipp (Acts 2:42-47)


As creatures,
we worship.
As fallen creatures,
we drift
towards
worship of self.
This is God,
turned inside-out
for He is self-giving.

Resist the current.
Swim upstream.

Habits can serve
to orient:
compasses that point the way,
strengthening resistance,
pulling as surely
as instinct
drives salmon 
to leap gallantly
over whitewater falls.

Adoration 
is a selfless act
composed of
a collection of habits:
submission,
gathering,
sharing,
communing.
Worship is action -
purposeful as the arm
raised and lowered
to cup water
and pull it rearward
again
and again.

He is Goodness
and Beauty;
the Source of
all that is
and not a creature
like us.
His invitation
to worship
is a gift
and our salvation
from the distortion
of
selfishness
we so easily
drift into.

Worship pulls us,
magnet-like,
to the Center
of Life.
We must throne Him
there daily
lest we 
find ourselves 
pulled to false idols
and 
whirlpools
of despair.

2 comments:

  1. It struck me that even in my hurt, where I'm wrongfully treated, the drift toward selfishness is evident. I turn the hurt inward where I feel sorry for myself and lo, I am worshiping at the altar of self-pity. Worship of the Center of Life sets it all into proper perspective where I can see the Truth, and I am then freed to see the hurtful situation through the lens of the Spirit. He not only brings healing to my heart, but forgiveness that I can extend to the one who hurt me, and then comes understanding. . . Today's message really spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carol. These words shimmer with Spirit and touch me where I truly live. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you letting us share with you today. We love to hear your thoughts and comments.