Sunday, November 22, 2015

And We Came to Rome - Brady Bobbink (Acts 28)

The ocean journey
concluded,
a new chapter begins.
Letter-writing ensues -
missals sent
throughout the known world.
Paul's mission
flourishes,
even in chains.

What is the rest 
of my story?

All stories end
but how they end
is an open question.
Some great starts 
get sidetracked;
and some just plod along,
head down,
kicking up only dust.
Others finish early 
in a brilliant flash
and others
run the marathon well
and finish with
honor.
To be in this category
one needs a vision -
a far away reference point
to fixate on.

How do I want to end?
What epitaph will 
sum me up,
carved in solid stone?

Once the end is seen,
I must work step by step
to make it true.
Press on.

Marathons require
stamina,
perseverance,
pacing
and strength.
Daily intake of sacred space;
intential binding to others
who will cheer me on
while challenging me 
to push harder;  
reining in my appetites
and excercising
wariness about 
every emotion;
all of these will see 
me through.
I must see myself
clearly for the flawed
creature I am,
knowing that within
each of us
lies the potential
fatal flaw,
simmering in secret.

I must cultivate
gratitude
for every breath
I'm given,
fight the good fight,
finish well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your words, my friend. For cheering me, For challenging me. For reminding me of the truth. I am grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you letting us share with you today. We love to hear your thoughts and comments.