Sunday, November 4, 2018

Sing me a Song; Isaiah: Light of Nations series - Lynn Gill (Isa. 5:1-7)

My people... a light to the nations
Sing me a song
of things that I know-
of fertile earth
cleared lovingly 
with strained sinews
of toil.
Sing of vines planted
and tended,
a harvest protected
and expected;
a song that I know.

But a sour note chimes
when the harvest reeks
and the farmer's tears
dampen 
traitorous soil.

Sing of the farmer's
anger then;
he will tear down
the vineyard,
lay waste the stalks,
and make it
a barren wasteland
in his ire.

Our God is the farmer
who looked for a crop
of justice
and mercy but
saw brutality;
who called for a song
of justice and peace,
but heard only 
the cries of those
who bleed.

Listen to the song
of our God
as He warns us of
what's to come,
lamenting and
storming,
His heart shattered
when we run shallow
or turn away
from His care
to engage
in what only
consumes us.

Sing a song 
of a fruitful vine,
gnarled with age
and pruned just so;
rooted in His 
sturdy Truth.

Sing to me
when I close my ears,
when my heart is
encrusted with stone.
Sing truth,
sing hope,
sing rebuke,
sing love;
sing God's holy
and severest
grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you letting us share with you today. We love to hear your thoughts and comments.