Sunday, March 17, 2019

He Comes, Yet Again (Isaiah: Light to the Nations) - Tim Knipp (Ex. 6; Isa. 40, 53)

A hero arrives -
a superhero no less -
performing deeds,
setting captives free
and defeating enemies
spectacularly.
Yet even freed,
we were not alone:
He led us,
dwelt with us
and provided a home.
A true hero,
powerful, loving,
and good.

Remember Me?
Your hero who loves
and redeems?
Be of good cheer,
prepare the way,
pronounce my coming
to those bowed down
in bondage.
My mighty arm is flexing
and I will come
to release you.
I will shield you from harm
and guard you 
as tenderly as a shepherd
his lambs
who tremble and wobble
in unspeakable fright.
Feel my heartbeat
as I carry you,
take my wounded hand
as you stumble
through the dark.
I will lead you home
yet again.

The wait stretches as long
as evening shadows
over pale desert sand.
Stories are told 
of One still coming,
but when, oh, when?
How long, Oh Lord?
Our waiting cataracts our eyes
and we nearly miss
Your coming again.
We grew used to the lull
and expected a cape
with muscles bulging,
not a mild-mannered,
dirt-shod 
rabbi.

Some will believe,
some refuse to see.
He came to bow down,
to lay Himself low,
broken and bruised,
receiving our wounds.
Though He spoke in symbols
for all to see:
saying look, oh look,
I am He - it is me!

A hero who loses?
A leader who is willingly weak,
choosing service
and torture
as rescue means?
A king who holds out
a pierced hand 
to help us along;
whose steps slow to match
our pace,
though He could easily stride
continents in a 
single bound...

He comes to 
redeem us,
yet again,
reminding us gently
of blood bled on 
our behalf
and flesh that felt
every agony of death
and separation
to spare us,
to save us,
yet again. 

(apologies if some of this sounds a bit Seuss-ish - I've just spent 2 1/2 months listening to those kind of rhymes and rhythms every weekday...sometimes it creeps in no matter what I say - aaahhh...I'm doing it again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you letting us share with you today. We love to hear your thoughts and comments.